Heading Out of Denver, Colorado
Today’s destination is Rawlins, Wyoming about 250 miles away. We plan to take Interstate 25 North into Wyoming where we will catch Interstate 80 West.
As we leave Denver, the winds pick up and continue to increase as Jeff white knuckles the steering wheel. Then we hear an all too familiar flapping and thudding. The awning over the main slide- out is twisted and unraveling AGAIN. Jeff can see it billowing out like a parachute with each gust of wind. (This happened in April of 2016 traveling west on Interstate 90 in Minnesota. We were forced to stop at an RV dealership in South Dakota to cut the canvas awning off from the roller. And then we later replaced it.)
We pass under high wind warning signs the closer we get to Fort Collins.
And then we are warned that Interstate 25 is closed to high profile vehicles across the border into Wyoming. That would be us and that is exactly where we are headed. We need to take I-25 for only 9 miles across the state line to connect with I-80 West.
Fortunately there is an alternative route that will take us to Interstate 80 via Laramie, Wyoming.
But we don’t see the warning sign again and we are a little over 50 miles from the border. We have to make a decision soon because the alternate route, U. S. Highway 287 is approaching too.
We get lucky a second time. There is a rest area and Colorado information center near Fort Collins. The dogs and I make a pit stop and Jeff talks to the person inside the information center. According to the weather service the ban of high profile vehicles is still in effect. This area of the high plains is infamous for high wind gusts that blow vehicles over and/or off the road. U.S. 287 will offer more protection with its surrounding hills. (We hope!)
So the decision is made. But it still isn’t easy navigating the wind on this 2 lane highway. Every time a truck passes by in the opposite direction our RV gets pushed sideways. Jeff does an amazing job keeping our vehicle upright and on the road.
Meanwhile I capture the scenery as we leave the state of Colorado.
It certainly doesn’t look windy or dangerous in these pictures, but inside the RV we feel each gust and hear the flapping from the twisted awning outside.
We cross into Wyoming.
Laramie and the junction to I-80 is 24 miles away. But as we merge onto the Interstate and head toward Rawlins, where we plan to spend the night, we pass under another warning sign.
Tomorrow’s forecast is not very encouraging. And the dark clouds are rolling in.
We arrive safely guided by our loveable totem pothead, hehe 😉
at the Red Desert Rose Campground in Rawlins, Wyoming.
Tomorrow is a new day with new decisions on the horizon. Today we learned 3 big lessons:
- Heading east before May is not a good idea.
- The high plains are always vulnerable to high winds.
- Replace the awning over an RV slide if, AND ONLY IF, traveling across the high plains is avoided.